After receiving a number of complaints from the general public, Wooden Buffalo RCMP has charged native contractor Donnie Whitty for allegedly defrauding clients.
Police say that Whitty communicated with people by way of social media and on the native Fb web page, “Fort McMurray Aspect Jobs”.
Whitty’s accusers declare that the Whole Pleasure Dwelling Enhancements proprietor would conform to do dwelling enchancment jobs and request a deposit earlier than starting his work.
After receiving the cash it’s mentioned that not one of the agreed-upon work can be accomplished, and Whitty would stop all communication.
All complaints had been between Could and June of this 12 months totaling over $50,000 of deposits made with no acquired work being accomplished.
Donnie Whitty was arrested on July 29 and charged with the next:
- Fraud over $5,000 (x4)
- Fraud beneath $5,000 (x3)
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000
Whitty was launched from police custody with situations following a Judicial Interim Launch listening to. His subsequent court docket look is on August 31 within the Fort McMurray Provincial Court docket.
Tricks to keep away from home-improvement scams in line with Higher Enterprise Bureau embrace:
- Say no to cash-only offers, high-pressure gross sales ways, and excessive upfront funds.
- Ask for references and follow-up.
- Ask for a written contract with the worth, supplies, and timeline.
- Work with native companies which have correct identification, licensing, and insurance coverage.
When you consider you’ve fallen sufferer to a rip-off, contact the Wooden Buffalo RCMP at 780-788-4040.